May
02

Why do you think sports were invented?

Filed Under (Questions) by Mrs. Stading on 02-05-2011

I think because all the people could do was read books and they wanted something to do outside with a ball or something.

7 Comments Already, Leave Yours Too

Sandy on 2 May, 2011 at 5:58 pm #

I think it probably had to do with a couple of men and their competitive nature …. maybe they decided to see who killed the biggest game for dinner, then who ran the fastest, who threw the furtherest …. bada bing, SPORTS was born.

So, in short — our human competitive nature led to SPORTS.

Nichole on 2 May, 2011 at 6:23 pm #

I think people like to play. When other people start up a game nearby, doesn’t it look like fun? I think sports started out as people just wanting to play and have fun. Then the games became more organized. Great question!

Samantha Kelley on 2 May, 2011 at 8:16 pm #

I think people got bored just sitting around so they made up a game.

Mrs. Stading on 2 May, 2011 at 10:58 pm #

I’m with Sandy…at some point, some of the weaker men got tired of the BIG GUY always bringing home the biggest animal. The weaker guys got together and said, We can throw spears, even though the BIG GUY is always the one who hits the big animal doesn’t mean he really IS the best spear thrower. We’ll show him! And bam! Throwing sports are invented. 🙂

They could also just be practice for skills people used to need…like the log roll on Survivor used to be used by Lumberjacks in their work.

Sarah Tutt on 3 May, 2011 at 4:57 am #

I think it was to help people develop and improve the skills needed to survive and to make life easier.

Megs on 3 May, 2011 at 6:57 am #

I think it was a more peaceful version of war. Rather than fight and kill one another, they decided to see who was best.

Heather on 9 September, 2011 at 5:30 pm #

I like your Mom’s version. Maybe when men got more efficient at hunting they had too much time on their hands and they started getting prideful about who was stronger and decided to prove it through sports.

But, I do think it’s natural for people to be active. It sure does feel good after a hard walk or swim, doesn’t it?

Post a Comment
Name:
Email:
Website:
Comments: